During the month of June we focused on summer fun. We decided this month would be a great time to share some of our favorite summer recipes with you- just in time for Father's Day, graduation celebrations and backyards BBQ's.
Craig: Southwestern Black Bean Salad
15.5 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
9 oz cooked corn, fresh or frozen (thawed if frozen)
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
1 scallion, chopped
1 1/2 - 2 limes, juice of
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh minced cilantro, or more to taste
salt and fresh pepper
1 medium hass avocado, diced
1 diced jalapeno, optional
- In a large bowl, combine beans, corn, tomato, onion, scallion, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice to taste and stir in olive oil.
- Marinate in the refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Add avocado just before serving.
Kim: Patio Potato Salad
¼ cup sugar
1 Tbl cornstarch
1.5 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp salt
½ tsp celery seed
½ cup milk
¼ cup vinegar
1 egg beaten
¼ cup (or less) butter cubed
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ cup mayonnaise
7-10 medium red potatoes
3 hard boiled eggs
- Peel (optional) and cube potatoes and place in large pot of cold water. Bring to a boil and cook 10 minutes or until soft - drain
- In a small saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, mustard, salt, and celery seed
- Stir in milk, vinegar, and egg until smooth
- Add the cubed butter and bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes until thickened and bubbly
- Stir in the onion and mayonnaise
- In a large bowl combine potatoes and hard boiled eggs
- Add the cooled dressing and toss gently to coat
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (preferably overnight)
- Serve in a lettuce lined bowl and sprinkle with paprika
Terri: Strawberry Spinach Salad
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced onion
10 ounces fresh baby spinach
1 quart strawberries - cleaned, hulled and sliced
1/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, olive oil, vinegar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and onion. Cover, and chill for one hour.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries and almonds. Pour dressing over salad, and toss. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes before serving.